Friday, July 4, 2014

The Fourth

I spent about fifteen minutes this morning trying to find something red, white, and blue.  Fifteen minutes is way longer than I normally take to choose an outfit.

Turns out I had all three but nothing that really worked together.

Eventually I just grabbed my red hat, a pearl necklace and figured the jeans could count as blue.  And added it to the list of "unconventional holidays in Africa".

Back home, the 4th was never my favorite holiday.  I mean, sure, I liked the barbeques and the fireworks and the watermelon and all that.

But I was always way more excited for Thanksgiving and Easter and Christmas.  And yes, even New Years.

Now?  Man, do I miss the States.  I wish I could be there to celebrate the 4th.  Not in a "our-country's-the-best-and-I'm-so-proud-to-be-American" sort of way.

But...it's home.

At least it's the place that feels the most like home to me in this world.

In reality, though...


This world has nothing for me
This life is not my own
I know You go before me
And I am not alone


And for that reason...we won't be shaken. :)

So Happy 4th.
Be safe.
Enjoy the fireworks.
Eat a hot dog for me.  (Or don't.  I'm kind of picky about my hot dogs.)
And thank God for the freedom found in Christ.  It's the only freedom that can't be taken away.

No comments:

Post a Comment