Monday, July 7, 2014

The Happenings

I'm sitting here listening to The Piano Guys' playlist and looking through pictures of my cousin's graduation the other week.  From college.  Where did the time go?  It seems like just yesterday that we were listening to him give the valedictorian speech at his high school graduation.
 
I have to say I'm pretty proud of him.  He's ridiculously smart, but he's also a first-rate cousin.
 
Congrats, Ben!
 
- - -
 
Last Thursday we had a barbeque at the Mission to say goodbye to Christoph, Anne, and their girls.  They're moving back to Germany.
 
 
 
They'll be missed here.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
- - -
 
The Fourth was Marie-Claude's birthday.
 
 
So there was cake and candles and pictures and presents...
 
 
 
 
 
Matchy-matchy!
 
- - -
 
After class on Friday, I went over Julien and Angèle's to hang out for a bit.  ("A bit" ended up being 5 1/2 hours...)

Julien wished me joyeux anniversaire on behalf of the US.  I later realized it was just as well that I wasn't all red, white, and blue, or else people might have that I was rooting for France in the afternoon match.  I had no idea who was playing that day (obviously it's not very high on my mental agenda)...no idea, that is, until I got to class and everyone was talking about it.  Anyway.

We were watching the Brazil-Colombia match (that brought me up to the grand spankin' total of two!) and the power went out.  They call the power company CoupelecCouper is the French word for to cut. :)

So we ate by candlelight and listened to the game on the radio.  The power did come back on in time for us to catch the end, which made them (Julien especially) happy.

Angèle had made a porridge sort of thing from cracked corn which she served with lait caillé (which is pretty much like runny yogurt, usually sweetened).  We ate around a platter.  In the semi-dark.  If that sounds like an interesting experience, yes, it was.

That was a late night.

The next day we had a birthday lunch for Marie-Claude.  Just a few of us - me, Jenn, Michael, Marie-Claude and her sister.  The menu was chicken sandwiches (à la Chick-fil-a), chips and dip, and chocolate cake.  Yum.

I hung out there for most of the afternoon, and Sunday I was also gone nearly the whole day (both a lunch and a dinner invitation)

Which made three busy/full weekends in a row.

Three weekends in a row that I've had "write newsletter" on my to-do list.  But with so much other stuff to do, guess what didn't get done?  Yeah.  The newsletter.  I don't know why I dislike writing a newsletter so much or why I find them so difficult (especially when I enjoy writing a blog post), but I do.

Sigh.  Maybe this week it'll get done.  Then again, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment