Friday, August 22, 2014

Looking Back: Comic Relief

Today's edition of "Looking Back" features things about living here that I've found funny, that I enjoy, or that have surprised me (in a not-unpleasant way).
 
The Comic Relief
 
French fries in everything: Yup, you've all heard me say this before.  They really like French fries here.  In fact, I'd be willing to bet that my host family (and other locals) probably eat more fries on a regular basis than my family does in the States.  Which is funny, because I've always thought of French fries as being so American. :)

Very (VERY) little personal space: I've always liked having my space, so it surprised me more than a bit when I realized how easily I could tolerate having none.  By "none", I mean feeling people breathing on my neck, getting elbows in my face or my ribs, or having only inches between my face and something or someone.  Granted, there are days when it's extra hot or I'm just feeling somewhat irritable, and then I don't tolerate all the pushing and shoving so well, but on the whole, I can stand it.  Oh, and you want to hear a funny story?  One time I was on a bus that was so crowded that, as I was trying to get off, I just. could. not (believe me, I was doing my share of pushing).  A guy standing near the door reached through the crowd, grabbed my arm, and pulled me through.  Whatever works, right?

Eating/drinking from the same dish/glass:  Along the same lines as the above, I was surprised that this didn't bother me at all, coming from a very Western mindset of germ-consciousness.  (I don't think having two sisters in the medical field helps!)  I'm not saying I'm throwing microbiology out the window, but it doesn't keep me from sharing a normal meal with my host family.

Geckos sliding down tile walls: The first time I saw that, I started laughing out loud.  I thought since geckos could walk upside down and on glass that they'd be able to walk on tile without sliding...but apparently not.  It's absolutely hilarious to watch them fighting against gravity.

Left-handedness: It surprised me how quickly I learned to use my right hand for handing things to people.  Eating with my right hand took a little longer, but it's doable now.

Mafé (meat in a peanut sauce): I had my first taste of authentic mafé just days after I arrived, and I was hooked.  If I had to pick a favorite West African meal, that would probably be it.  Chebu yapp (meat over seasoned rice) deserves an honorable mention, though.  Yum!

Worship at church: It's enthusiastic and loud (though I've heard louder).  I like that enthusiasm.  I do think it's funny how much the music relies on the drums, though.  Take the piano away and people can still sing just as well.  Take the drums away and everyone limps through like a marching band that hasn't practiced together.

Outfits (the ladies' especially): All those colors and all those styles!  It's amazing!

Thunderstorms: It's no secret that I positively adore a good thunderstorm.  But California good thunderstorms.  So it's perhaps one of the few things that I like much better about here than I do about home.

English turning up in unexpected places: Little restaurants called "Fast food".   Stop signs with "Stop".  Phrases on car rapides or taxis ("Time is money", to name one example!).  And of course, the sometimes-ridiculous, sometimes-inappropriate t-shirts worn by unsuspecting souls.  It makes me shake my head and chuckle.

People guessing incorrectly what nationality I am: I've been asked if I was English, French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, and maybe one or two others.  (Of course, a decent percentage of the time they do guess American.)  Not that I think people are stupid for guessing wrong - I mean, I don't walk around with "I'm an American" tattooed across my forehead - I just think it's funny.

The unofficial motto of public transportation: "There's always room for more."  It never ceases to amaze (and amuse) me just how much can be packed into, stacked on top, and hanging off of a single vehicle.

"Farm animals" living in the heart of a city over more than 2 million: Sometimes it's amusing.  Sometimes it's annoying.  It the beginning it was just plain surprising.  Baby chicks scurrying around right next to a multi-story building?  A herd of sheep right outside a little restaurant?  Horse carts stuck in traffic alongside of semis?  Yup.  We have it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment