Wednesday, August 13, 2014

When Fears Speaks

If you think about it, life is chock-full of chances to fear.

Conversely, life is full of chances to trust the Lord, because every single opportunity to fear is also an opportunity to trust.

When the Ebola outbreak first started ('way back in March), I brightly assured folks back home not to worry.  There were no cases where I was, it's not an airborne disease, etc., etc.

Fast forward several months.  It's still going on.  Another email from leadership, another security update from the U.S. embassy, another headline in the news…and in spite of myself, the fear is creeping in.  I mean, this is THE worse Ebola outbreak in history.  (The CDC and WHO are making sure we all know that!)

Suppose one of our missionaries in West Africa gets sick?  Suppose it comes here (it hasn't yet)?  Suppose we're stuck and can't leave?  Suppose…

And I can listen to the fear.  Let it play in my head over and over like a broken record.

On the other hand, though I can't will the fear away, I can choose to listen to another voice speaking: the voice of truth.

Truth says He is right here with me, and He's way bigger than this - or anything else my anxious mind can dream up.  Truth says No matter what happens, I'm in His hands.

Now, I'm not saying all this because I've been able to check "choosing to listen to truth instead of fear" off some list of life lessons.  I'm saying it because…well…I'm human, and sometimes that choice is really hard.  Pray for me to make that choice each day, would you?

2 comments:

  1. Yes indeed, Rachel...we will pray. We have been wondering about your area. As you listen to His words of truth, we will pray that you have the wisdom and discernment to know the difference between His thoughts and those of your own. We love you very much. Take care of yourself the best you know how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pray for you, Rachel! What a comfort to know that God indeed is holding us in His hands.

    ReplyDelete