Monday, October 13, 2014

Celebration: {Day 13} Chuck and Irene's Story

There are few people I know who are so filled-to-overflowing with God's love!  They could write volumes of amazing stories, but here's one Mr. B chose to share.  God is faithful - our proven Provider.
 
- - -
 
We were headed to the mission field in Ketchikan, Alaska, in the winter of 1982.  My friend was helping me drive to the west coast where the family was waiting.  We were forced to the side of the road near Sydney, Nebraska when the rear gears of our Scout locked up.  I thumbed a ride into town.  Then when a tow truck came to get us, the mechanics were going off duty for the weekend.
 
Jim and I got a hotel.  I'd been saving an interesting looking Daily Bread in my Bible, so I read it now.  It said, "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations" (James 1:2).  I wondered, would we complain and give the devil the victory or count it all joy to glorify God?  We quickly decided to trust completely in the Lord.  The Sunday services and the fellowship at church were wonderful and there were opportunities to witness in the town.
 
My family was booked for a Thursday ferry trip from Seattle to Ketchikan, and so I was eager to get to the garage early Monday morning.  Later, I could hardly believe my ears.  The shop owner was a fine young man but running from God.  His wife was a member at the Baptist Church.  He told about searching for parts and none were available in Denver, Omaha, or any place close.  That Monday dragged on.  Tuesday came as he announced, "Still nothing."
 
Reflecting about the deadlines, I knew my Scout was really God's, the mission work was His, and we were His servants, so what was He teaching?  And then this mechanic said, "Wait here!"  To return, he had everything we needed.  There was an old Scout just three miles away and everything major on it was gone, but the rear-end of the vehicle was there!  That seemed incredible!
 
Well, it did not take him long to get us on the road and we were headed west.  The heater was purring as everything was working perfectly.  And pulling a huge load, we crossed the mountains, crept down icy passes, and pushed on through the winter storms of Dead Man's Pass.
 
My repair bill was over $700.  As I was buying gas, my dollar bills were finally all gone.  Jim offered me his bit of cash and I said, "No, let's see how far God takes us on what I've got left."  Finally, pulling into Seattle late that Wednesday with a day to spare, my wallet was absolutely empty with change in my pocket.  Irene had our ferry tickets and enough cash yet to buy some food for the ferry journey north.
 
Staying with friends that night, we played games to Christmas music.  One of the great songs that year was, "Come On Ring Those Bells" by Evie as we played it over and over again.  What joy in Jesus as the Lord precisely meets our needs!
 
 
It seemed a terrible waste to spend all that money on a vehicle, but the experience proved to be a valuable lesson of God's grace and the faith to trust Him for the years ahead.  So we say through the lean times of life: "God gives just enough money, just enough time, and just enough strength!"  And looking back, we can always trust the Lord!  As God leads His children, He will provide!
 
On a memorable night before Christmas, several friends stood with us on a Seattle pier as a great boat sounded the horn to head to sea, then to a city that we had never been to before.  While the lights of Seattle beamed faintly over the horizon, we had this fresh reminder, "And, lo, I am with you always."  (Matthew 28:20)
 
It seemed like what a waste, but what is money to God?  For the years of our lives, we would not trade that experience for anything.  God in His grace is the proven Provider!
 
 
Chuck B.

No comments:

Post a Comment