Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Celebration: {Day 7} For Living

Grace has so many wonderful aspects, but I think one of my favorites is this: It's for everyday living.  It makes a difference in everyday living.

Not just in quiet time or telling people about Jesus or memorizing Scripture (although it certainly can include those things).

Things like writing emails, exercising, shopping, planning for the day, studying, going to bed.

I'll unpack that a little more with a few examples.

I look back on some emails I wrote five years ago and think, My goodness, I tried so hard to sound so spiritual.  And it was so fake and pointless.  God isn't honored because I sound like I swallowed Strong's Concordance and can spit out a verse for any given situation, or because I can list off a dozen ways I'm occupied "serving Him".  He's honored when my living, breathing relationship with Him spills out in laughter and sympathy and care.  When I share the little things (not just the big things) with thankfulness.  When I ask about my friend's day.  When I truly hurt with those who are hurting, not just slap a bunch of verses on the situation.  When I live from the abundance of the grace He has given me.

My attitude about shopping has changed.  I realize now that it's okay if I can't find everything on my list (seriously, you have no idea how much this used to stress me out!).  It's okay if I get that brand that costs fifty cents more because I didn't know the other store had it for less.  I don't have to find the best outfit, the cheapest cut of meat, the perfect backpack.  It's okay I forget something.  Or buy something that wasn't on the list.  God isn't frowning in disapproval over those things.  His grace tames the edges of my frantic perfectionism.

I'll admit that I still hate leaving a to-do list unfinished at the end of the day, but at least I've gotten to the point where I don't feel like an utter failure every time that happens.  God's love is in no way dependent on what I do or don't do.  With His help, I can do what I need to do, but if I don't meet a goal, grace gives me the permission to move on.  Tomorrow is a new day.  And that's incredibly freeing!

Basically, it boils down to the fact that perfectionism and grace can't really coexist.  Perfectionism focuses on me and my efforts (which results in pride and discouragement alternately).  Grace lifts my eyes up to Jesus, my Perfect Hero, and lets me live the abundant life He came to give me.

How has grace made a difference in your everyday living?

No comments:

Post a Comment