Friday, October 3, 2014

Celebration: {Day 3} Patty's Story

Not only does God delight to use imperfect people (which includes all of us!), sometimes those very imperfections are what invites others to open up to truth.  Patty's story is an example of that.

- - -

I know I sometimes come off gruff, but only by HIS grace can I pull it off sometimes.  Got a call from a young Marine's doctor who said, he didn't know what it was but the young man could and does respond to me.  I know Lord you said we can comfort with the same comfort we've had, but it still takes your grace to soften an old toad like me.  Grace, your favour towards me!

Thanks for sharing Patty - would you maybe like to elaborate on that story a bit more?

Maybe some specific examples of the comfort you've experienced that you were then able to share with him?

A young marine with PTSD was disappointed by a person he trusted.  He was more disappointed by a person who told him they were a Christian, but then lied to him.  About what I don't know.  But I told him that man was not perfect and even Christians lied.  I told him I lied.  Sometimes I did it cause I didn't want the confrotation, but it didn't make it right.  But I would not lie to him because I felt he needed to know the truth about anything he asked.  I told him about my depression and how I hated when people lied to me when I was in a bout, otherwise, I could blow them off.  It seem to relax him.  He responded by saying - he couldn't believe that someone actually told him that Christians weren't perfect.  I told him to take a long, hard look at me and see what a Christian looks like.  Imperfect outside and inside.  And yet God loved me beyond measure.  I told him he could take on the liar and God wouldn't care, in fact, God would probably be glad His child was called on a lie.  The young man finally felt like he would be able to close his eyes and get some sleep.  Could have I had an honest conversation with him without God's grace?  No, because I would be afraid I might say something that would send him over the edge, but God's favor on me led me to love this kid and be truthful.

This kid wouldn't talk to the hospital doctor or psychiatrist, he had met me at Kaiser with his Mom and had my number I'd given her for other reasons.  They called one night and said, he needed someone to talk to and he wasn't talking except to me.  He was suicidal.

Patty, thanks for your honesty here.  We are following a perfect Savior, but we are by no means perfect followers, and I think it's so important to acknowledge that to others!  We are no different, no better than anyone else, and God offers the same grace to every single person.

No comments:

Post a Comment