Wednesday, January 28, 2015

GPA: Phase 4

Phase 4: The Deep Life Sharing Phase

Phase hours: 500

GP-nurturer ratio: 1-1

Materials needed for sessions: recording device, notebook for writing new vocabulary in

Activities in session: life stories, "day on the job" interviews, various talking activities (GP tries to retell a story from Phase 2 or 3, GP tries to describe in detail a scene he/she observed), recording for feedback (GP records himself/herself, perhaps telling a story, and then plays it in session, with the nurturer stopping the recording and correcting each error), books (nurturer is recorded reading, then the recording is "massaged")

Activities out of session: reviewing recordings from sessions, visiting with host family/host friends, planning sessions, reading

Understanding level: deep explanations of host life, beliefs, and practices

Speaking level: complex stories
 
 
 
This is a collection of stories that local school children would be familiar with.
 
 
As you can see, the print isn't too small, so it's not too overwhelming for new readers...or new readers of French, as the case may be.
 
 
I also read articles online to give me new vocabulary.  Wikipedia gave me the whole spectrum as far as difficulty went.  I found food articles easy (because I'm pretty familiar with this domain).  And interesting (because the world is full of different foods).  And practical (because food is a necessary part of everyday life).  And enjoyable (because I like food, in spite of what my African friends may think when they look at me).

No comments:

Post a Comment