Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Easter Memories

Once upon a time, it was Easter Sunday...
 
Not many people were at church - compared to last year.  It probably had something to do with the fact that our church Easter party was Saturday night, and it went late.  Like...early-the-next-morning late.
 
I wasn't there for the party, since I was at Angèle's family's for their pre-Easter preparations.
 
Anyway, back to Sunday morning at church...
 
 
 
We posed for pictures...
 
 
Nobody knew which camera to look at.
 
 
And there's the lovely closed-eyes look.
 
 
 
 Ndèye, Siré, and I
 
 
She was pretty taken with him. :)
 
 
After church I joined J&A and went spent the rest of the day at her family's.
 
 
The picture doesn't really do her or her outfit justice, but she totally looked like a princess.
 
 
 
Our Easter menu: chicken, pork, onion sauce, two different cold "salads" (veggie mixtures with light dressing), bread, fries, several dipping sauces, and tons of juice - bissap, bouye, orange, ginger (which I adore!), mint, and some reddish-pink juice (strawberry? pomegranate?).  We ate well.  Very, very well.
 
Our Easter activities: eating (of course), drinking round after round of tea in tiny glasses, watching tv, talking, watching the kids run everywhere
 
Other Easter tidbits: The Easter greeting was Alléluia!, followed by a kiss on each cheek.  There was a big wrestling match in the evening, and it just so happened that "our" wrestler won.  I was in the living room with the ladies (the guys were watching the match in another room), and my word...I had no idea a room full of ladies could go that crazy over a sporting event of any kind.  They were jumping and dancing and whooping and hollering.  I was sitting calmly on the couch ('cause that's how I roll), and one the aunts came dancing towards me and pulled me to my feet, as if to say, "How can you just be sitting there all calm when he won?!!"  It makes me laugh just remembering it.
 
At one point, I was sprawled across a bed with Angèle, the baby, and one of the aunts, and it suddenly hit me...This is my last family holiday I get to spend with them before I leave.
 
I never imagined that one day I'd find it so hard to face the prospect of leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment