Wednesday, July 22, 2015

This...


This is how the construction workers next door liked to take their sieste.

This is a chunk of pork waiting to be cut up.

This is Theo, my little darling.

This is Julien, sharpening his knife.

This is Julien, cutting up the pork.

(And isn't Theo's face adorable?!)

This is Vicki, a friend Anna and I want to visit the day we got back from our field conference.

Vicki used to live at the church that was on the same property as the place I stayed for my first three weeks in WA.  After I moved, I didn't get to see her very much, but I had to at least pop by before I left, so I could say goodbye.  She was such a sweet, encouraging lady.


This is at J&A's the night before I left.

...I don't need to tell you how hard that was, I'm sure.

This is my pile of stuff the morning I left.

(And not a single piece of luggage was overweight!  I must admit I was a little concerned about that.)

This is on the way to the airport.  It's one of the very few pictures I have of a car rapide (the blue and yellow vehicle with the people hanging off the back), a pretty common form of transportation around the city.

This is another very common form of public transportation: ndiaga ndiayes (pronounced NJAG-an-jyes).

This is when Anna tried to get a picture of the crowded bus and a car drove right in front.

This is a shot of the road...

...and another.  Notice the guys hanging off the back of the ndiaga ndiaye.

This is my twin, apparently.  At least according a fruit vendor and one or two other random people.

I know, guys.  Totally looks like me.  Totally.

This is after I boarded my plane for the flight back to the US.

This is when we started taxiing.

This is the view of the city just before we were airborne.  Sniffle, sniffle. 

This is an aerial view.  Pretty cool, I think. :)

This is Goodbye, West Africa.

This is Hello, US.  (See that light streak running diagonal across the picture?)

This is a New York beach.

This was like a different world than what I'd just come from: the city a tidy, precise grid of streets and buildings in neat little rows.
  

This is beginning the descent to my final destination.  A few hours later, I'd be reunited with my family and get to meet the newest addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment