Monday, August 3, 2015

The Grand Tour, Part 1

Abigail was supposed to pick me up at 5:30.  I set my alarm for an ambitious 4:30, thinking that would give me plenty of time to get ready and have breakfast without feeling rushed.
 
Unfortunately...I was so exhausted I slept through my alarm, all the way till 5:18 when Dad noticed I wasn't up and knocked on my bedroom door.
 
Panic put wings on my feet.
 
Twelve minutes later, at precisely 5:30, I stood outside the garage - showered, fully awake, and luggage double-checked - waiting for Abigail.
 
She ended up being about fifteen minutes late.
 
Which was a good thing, 'cause it gave my pulse time to return to a somewhat more normal pace.
 
 
 
 
The road trip trio: Emily, me, and Abigail.  (I went with them as far as Houston, and from there I continued my grand tour by plane instead of car.)
 
 
We passed this orchard full of trees - all uprooted and laid neatly on their sides.  Weird.
 
 
 
 
A tattoo parlor for vehicles! :)
 
 
We took a picture of that street sign for Abigail's brother, Zach.
 
 
This vineyard had a long row of umbrellas, presumably to offer shade for the grape-pickers.
 
 
The Southwest may not be very green, but I think it has its own kind of beauty.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
As the sun's rays stretched longer, we pulled off the highway into a camp site.
 
 
 
We got set up for the evening.
 
 
I was totally pretending to know what I was doing when we set up the tent.  Truth was, I'd never camped before in my life.  I blame my mom.  She doesn't like camping, so we never went as a family.  Anyway.
 
 
 
Menu: quesadillas and salad.  We ate heartily.  I think the fresh air has a way of giving one an appetite.
 
 
 
 
 
The last bit of light faded behind the trees.  The stars came out in dazzling abundance - even the Milky Way was visible!  It was glorious, absolutely glorious.  The night sky is my one weakness.
 
 
We told stories under the stars before retiring to our tent.
 
 
 
It was a short night.
 
...To be continued. :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment