Monday, January 30, 2017

Radio Station Musings


African Essentials.  It's a Pandora station in my favorites.  It plays...often.

I've learned to notice and appreciate the differences between the music from different regions of Africa.  The beats, the instruments, the accents, the feel.  When I hear a new song, I lean over to the computer to see where the artist came from.  I just find it fascinating to hear how geography influences the style of music across such a vast continent.

But when a Senegalese song comes on, it feels instantly familiar and homey.

It makes me think of Julien and Angèle and language sessions and parties in the neighborhood.  Of sun and grilled meat and people all dressed up.  Of Orange promotions and taxi rides and little food stands.

And I'm thankful for what those memories represent.

You guys, it was hard.

I didn't always like it.

But God was breath-takingly faithful during those years.  I saw His hand then, and I see it even more clearly now that I look back at that time.

Walking with Him through that was worth it.  Walking with Him is always worth it, even when the path doesn't take you where you thought it would.

Let's not forget where we've been.  Let's remember with gratefulness the life experiences that have shaped and changed and grown us.  And most of all - let's remember the One who was, is, will forever be by our sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment