Monday, April 10, 2017

Open Hands


Several weeks ago, I stumbled across this song, and the words tore right through the layers of contentment and happiness I was wearing down to somewhere deep and ugly.

I felt content with life, but my hands weren't completely open to God.  No, as the song played and I hid my head in the couch, He showed me what I was holding onto.

The list was longer than I wanted to admit.  Far longer.




For starters, I'm a big one for questions.  I like to know why.  I like to understand.

Most of the time, that's helped me learn - new skills, a new job, a new culture.

Sometimes, however, I bring that question to God with the unspoken idea that He is obligated to give me an answer.




See, when I came back from Senegal, I tossed pretty much everything from those two years in a metaphorical box - the memories, the lessons, the questions - and put the box on a shelf.  The future called for my attention and I had neither the time nor mental energy to sort through the box.  So it sat there.

Sooner or later, as was bound to happen, that box started bugging me.  A good friend and mentor, Jackie, offered to help me unpack that box, to go through a debrief of sorts with me if I thought that would be helpful.  I said yes.  She gave me some resources beforehand and I started slowly working my way through them.

What was I hoping to get out of it?  I guess, more than anything, I wanted those nagging Whys laid to rest.  To come out the other side with a clear picture of God's purpose for that part of my life.

And then one evening, He stopped me short with a song and I had to rethink everything.




There's no doubt it's time to unpack the box.

And though I want resolution and answers and an understanding of His purpose in it all, I realize now this is no right I can hold onto.

Open hands.

Giving it all to Him means I may never get what I've hoped or prayed for.
I may never understand - this side of heaven - exactly why He chose to lead me to Senegal, only to bring me back after two short years.  He may never give me that missing puzzle piece.

Am I okay with that?  Truly?

If I'm not, I'm still holding onto something.





Surrender isn't an act we put on to convince God to be our genie in a bottle.  "Your will be done" isn't some magical phrase we can tack onto a prayer to get what we want.

No, open hands means just that...no holding onto anything.

It feels like an incredibly scary, vulnerable, empty place to be.  And it is - unless we have a greater joy and security.

Have I ever regretted giving something to the Lord, even if it was excruciating?  I asked myself.

Never!  On the contrary, anything I have given up has only brought me closer to Him.  I knew it would be the same this time, too.

Still, I expected emptiness on the other side of that letting go - especially for things I'd held onto for far longer than just my questions about coming back to the States.  But it wasn't there.

There was a freedom, a lightness, a peace in my heart.  What I thought was somehow giving me security had actually been weighing me down and I didn't even know it.

Knowing Him is the greatest joy I can have, worth so much more than anything I might be tempted to clench my hands around.

No comments:

Post a Comment