Friday, May 11, 2018

The Story of the Bunting

I love bunting.

It's pretty, whimsical, and festive.

And it's a truth-reminder for me.

- - -

Early on during my time in Senegal, I really struggled.  I couldn't seem to stop telling God about all the things I disliked.  Life is always a mix of the good and bad, the easy and the challenging, but I could only see the challenges.

And I was utterly miserable.

One day, something clicked.  I was waiting for something to change, for things to feel easier.  To feel like being thankful.  But that's not how joy works.  Joy comes when we make the choice to thank God for His gifts, regardless of how we feel.

I needed to do something tangible to remind myself of this truth, that every day joy was waiting for me if I'd only thank God for His goodness.  So I made bunting and strung it up in my living room.  Bunting feels so festive - like there's something to celebrate.  And there is!

Every time I walked past the living room, I had a reminder: Choose joy, not ungratefulness.  Revel in the grace that He so freely showers me with.

- - -

Now, bunting hangs wherever I call home.

It's my declaration that I believe God is always good and that His gifts are to be celebrated every day of my life.


Bunting to match the banana yellow of my living room in Senegal


Bunting made from a favorite calendar up in my third-floor apartment at the Bible school


Fabric bunting in my current little home

No comments:

Post a Comment