Friday, April 20, 2018

April Reads


April was a busy month as far as reading goes.  Most of the books I chose centered around hospitality.

Strangers at My Door | Wilson-Hartgrove: So, I'll be honest...this book was not a comfortable, "feel-good" kind of read.  It challenged me, made me squirm, and brought up a lot of questions.  While there were some theological points I would probably disagree with, it stretched my understanding of hospitality and how God might want to grow me in that area.

Come & Eat | McKoy: An easy read.  Stories about life and how we can invite others in to our lives by making room for them at our tables.  Recipes in each chapter.  (I love looking at recipes, although in all honesty I rarely use them.)

Bread & Wine | Niequist: I loved her writing style.  She writes about friendships, food, the ups and downs of life, and she skillfully weaves God's grace into all of it.  I wanted to throw a dozen dinner parties after reading this book.

The Nesting Place | Smith: Such a fun book!  Lots of great pictures and even better stories.  I freak out over choosing paint colors or the unbearable responsibility of putting nail holes in walls.  She's the kind of friend I would want around to talk me down from silly home-décor ledges.  And while she talks a lot about practical tips for home decorating, she also has a really cool philosophy.  "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful," she says.  She shares how God taught her about contentment through their family's many moves (and unmet home expectations), and how she's learned to be creative with what she has instead of always imagining a "perfect" home.  Fun random fact: she's the older sister of Emily P. Freeman, who wrote Grace for the Good Girl, one of my favorite reads ever.

Charming Guest Rooms | Baskett & Mueller: Since I run a guest house and know there is always room for improvement, I thought it would be good (and fun!) to peruse books specifically focused on guest rooms (as opposed to hospitality in general).  This book was published in 2003.  There were some creative ideas for making guests feel welcome, but my goodness, those pictures looked quite outdated.  I guess fifteen years is a loooong time ago where trends are concerned.  It reminded me that I want to choose classic, timeless colors and designs for our guest rooms, rather than jumping on current trends.

Brokenness | DeMoss Wolgemuth [not pictured]: A short but convicting read on humility and how God works through it.

Adorned | DeMoss Wolgemuth [also not pictured]: Based on Titus 2.  I loved how she went beyond just the typical "do this and do that to become a godly woman", but talked about the motivation for developing our character: glorifying God and adorning (making beautiful) the gospel.  She emphasizes the importance of discipleship and how necessary it is to seek out friendships where we can encourage each other, older women investing in younger women.  I'd highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment