Thursday, August 30, 2018

August Reads


Faithful Women & Their Extraordinary God | Piper: One of my top favorite reads this year!  Noel Piper gives a portrait of six women who loved the Lord deeply - Sarah Edwards, Lilias Trotter, Gladys Aylward, Esther Ahn Kim, and Helen Roseveare - including excerpts from their own writings.  I was both challenged and encouraged seeing how God worked in their lives.  Definitely worth reading again.

The Translator | Hari: The memoirs of a man from Darfur.  It wasn't exactly light reading...war is such an ugly thing.  There's value in being aware of history, though, even if it's not pleasant.  I appreciated the insider's point of view and felt like he was a good story-teller.  In reading this book, I was also struck (again) by how important family connections are in this culture.  It challenged me to evaluate my own relationships and look for ways to deepen them.

Growing Up YanomamÓ§ | Dawson: The author's account of his growing up in the jungles of Venezuela.  It made me laugh, squirm, and think.  The chapters are well-written and fairly short, so I found it to be an easy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment