Saturday, September 29, 2018

September Reads


Generous Justice | Keller: I picked up this one at a book swap.  I'd never heard of the title or the author at that point, and I didn't have big expectations (but someone else had already snagged the book I'd had my eye on, so...).  But wow.  I've never read another book like it - one that attempted to address social justice issues (and Christians' relation to them) with such faithfulness to God's Word.  Much of my adult life, I have seen people primarily respond to these issues in one of two ways.  This book brought the focus squarely on Scripture and presented a profoundly different approach.  I finished it yesterday and find myself mulling it over and already wanting to re-read it.

Kitchen Table Counseling | Cook & Volkhardt: I'm still trying to evaluate this one in my head.  There were some helpful things I gleaned.  It seemed to have a fairly well-balanced and Scriptural approach to the issues it covered (which included anger, grief, depression, difficult family members, abuse, singleness/marriage, anxiety).  I'm not sure if something was missing or maybe it just wasn't as helpful overall as other resources I've found, but I don't know that I would read it again.

The War for Mansoul | Bunyan & Barrett: A re-read.  We had a well-worn copy when I was growing up, but it had been years since I'd read it.  This is seriously the best allegory I've ever read - even more insightful (and moving) than Pilgrim's Progress.  Even if allegories don't sound like your cup of tea, I'd still recommend this book.  It portrays the ups and downs of spiritual life so vividly, realistically, and personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment