Wednesday, November 7, 2018

November Reads


The Magnolia Story | Gaines: I checked out Joanna's cookbook from the library last month and really enjoyed it, so I was eager to read their story: their growing-up, their marriage, their family, and their business.  I read most of it in one sitting, laughing and cheering and on the edge of my seat.  This is how you know you've found a good book - when you're right in the story with the characters!

Cozy Minimalist Home | Smith: Love, love, love this book!  I read Myquillin's first book, The Nesting Place, earlier this year.  Her style inspires me and I found so much practical advice in this second book, both for my own home and as I make decisions about the guest house.  One of her main themes is that cozy doesn't have to mean cluttered (or having lots of stuff); you can make a home feel warm and inviting with less stuff if you know how to chose what to include.  I plan to re-read this book soon and put her methods to work in my little apartment.  (It's going to be so fun!)

Platters and Boards | Westerhausen & Worcel: Sometimes the title or idea of a book just grabs you, ya know?  That's what happened with this one.  Now I want to throw a party with a platter of yummy appetizers, dips, meats, and so forth.  There were plenty of pictures (a must in cookbooks!) and many, many themed platters to spark one's inspiration.

The Best Homes from This Old House | O'Connor: I loved this show when I was younger (I think I'd still like it, I just haven't watched it in yeeears).  The book?  Well, some houses were fun, but there weren't a ton that I'd consider my style.  The picture quality was a little low and I found myself silently judging the outdated trends that popped up now and again.  Perhaps I'm a little too critical of home style/design books in that regard...

No comments:

Post a Comment