Thursday, March 10, 2016

Thoughts On Contentment

Just a couple brief reflections on contentment.

"...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." (Philippians 4:11-12)

I’m becoming more and more convinced that this is a key mark of maturity: contentment in every circumstance.  I think it’s difficult to have that attitude in both plenty and need.  For myself, when things are a little tight, I tend to pray about it (okay, so sometimes my praying is more like freaking out to the Lord a bit), but when I have plenty…oddly enough, contentment can be a struggle.  I think I feel guilty somehow.  Like I want to tell God, “No thanks” to abundant provision.  “Just give me only what I need!”  But contentment is an attitude of acceptance, of joy and gratitude in what God has given – whether little or much.

"...Godliness with contentment is great gain." (1 Timothy 6:6)

A character of contentment is worth more than all the things we could accumulate.  "Great gain", Paul says.  That convicted me – I should be pursuing developing this kind of character more than I pursue anything material (even if they are good and useful things).

"...If we have food and clothing, we will be content with that." (1 Timothy 6:8)

Notice how basic Paul’s condition for contentment is?  Food and clothing.  That’s it.  Now compare that to what our society tells we “need” in order to be happy.  Food for thought, isn’t it.

"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.'" (Hebrews 13:5)

And here’s the bottom line, our motivation.  Why should we ever be discontent when God Himself – who is all we need – has promised to be with us all the time?

A final thought: how do contentment and hope fit together?  Can we be truly content right now and yet still hope and pray that at some point in the future, God will give us things (or relationships or experiences or whatever) we don’t yet have?  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment