Sunday, September 30, 2012

Wise words for a new week

In her book, Graceful, Emily Freeman tells of a time when...

One night before dinner, we decided to head across the bridge into Central Park and ride of those horse-drawn carriages.  As soon as I settled into the seat, squeezed between my college girlfriends, the first thing I did was plop my heavy, touristy bag on the floor of the carriage.

Imagine this with me: what if I had continued to wear that bag on my back?  My friends would have said, "Girl, take a load off.  Put that pack down and enjoy the ride!"  And what if I would have said, "Oh no, y'all.  I can't do that.  I wouldn't want the horse to have to work so hard."

They would have called me an idiot because, duh, the horse was already carrying the load.  No need for me to carry it too.  But heroines don't want to be high maintenance.  We don't want to be seen as needy or weak or unable to handle things.  As a result, we live life like a girl carrying her own pack on a carriage ride.  God is already carrying your load.  Why do you insist on carrying it too?

God is already carrying your load...no need for you to carry it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment