Tuesday, July 24, 2018

They Were Astonished



We covered Acts 12 in Sunday School this past week.  It's one of my favorite stories.

So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him.

So far, so good.

An angel showed up, freeing him from the sleeping guards he was chained to.

After the angel had led him out of the prison...

...he went to the house of Mary the mother of John, also called Mark, where many people had gathered and were praying.

You just know they must have been praying for Peter (among other things).

Peter was at the door, knocking persistently because no one in this prayer meeting believed Rhoda, who insisted it was him.

...and when they opened the door and saw him, they were astonished.

Why were they so surprised when God answered a specific request they were literally in the middle of praying for??

- - -

I've had what felt like a decently big project to work on and it's been rattling around in my head all summer.   Last week was going to be lighter in the guest house and with normal office work, so this project was my top priority.

But here's the thing: I've learned that I can't just turn creative output or brainstorming on like a faucet whenever I please.  It's either there or it isn't.  I'll have the time but not the mental creativity for something, or else I'll have ideas but no time to get them down on paper and flesh them out - which is endlessly frustrating.  I was afraid it would be the same thing last week.

Monday morning came, bright and full of possibility.  I prayed that God would give me clarity, creativity, and the ability to organize my thoughts well, and asked my dear friend Sherry to pray with me for those things.

I jotted ideas down.  A plan began to take shape.  Questions were answered.  Order came from what had previously been only a jumbled-up assortment of thoughts.

On Tuesday, I found myself quite surprised over how well it was going.  It never happens like this, I thought.  This is unbelievable!

In the middle of my happily astonished, head-shaking moment, I was suddenly struck...why was I so surprised that God had answered my very specific prayer?  Did I not believe He could?  Did I not believe He would?

Two things ~
My faith is small far too often.
God is faithful in spite of me.

So many hallelujahs.

No comments:

Post a Comment