Saturday, March 24, 2012

Our Father's Faithfulness

[This post originally appeared on my NTM blog.]

God’s timing and provision are always perfect and wonderful, but sometimes they make you stop and just say, Wow.  You know what I mean?

“My God shall supply all your needs…”  That’s a promise, right?  I believe God is faithful to His promises…  Okay, on a certain level I believe that God is faithful.  But I’ll be honest – when the rubber meets the road I don’t always rest in His promises.

Last week I was looking at certain expense looming in the distance and I just wasn’t sure what I could count on.  I don’t have a job or a completely reliable income…

Somehow the fact that I have a completely reliable God didn’t factor into my thoughts much.  I started fretting a bit; fretting turned to worrying; and I wondered if I might have to give up the idea altogether.  Even my prayers for God’s provision started to sound desperate instead of being “an expression of my dependence on Him”.

And then, just like He’d planned to all along, He came through.  Right in the midst of my worrying and silent doubts, He sent one of His incredible provisions.  His timing was beautiful.  The entire expense was paid for, just like that.

You know what, though?  I felt so unworthy to receive it (even more unworthy than usual, I should say).  “Lord, I’ve been doubting You instead of trusting – and yet You shower me with these blessings?  I know You reward faith, but I certainly wasn’t exercising any.”

He reminded me that I am His child, and of course He’s going to take care of me.  Not because of anything I do – or don’t do – but simply because He loves me.  Not because I deserve it, but just because…He loves me.

I have this quote (from a good friend) hanging up in my room:

I’m trying to plan for the future, and I can’t see beyond today.  And yet today is all I need to see.  The Lord’s prayer doesn’t say, “Give us this day everything we need for the next three months, ” but, “Give us this day our daily bread.”

Somehow that seems even more beautiful and fitting after last week. God may not always chose to answer my prayers right away – or answer them in the way I expect – but He is faithful in every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment