Monday, December 16, 2013

Christmas Musings

I must say, this Christmas season is way different than just about any other one I can remember.  My brain got stuck somewhere back in September or October, thanks in part to the weather, and thanks in part to life in general.
 
But here we are.  Smack dab in the middle of December, and it feels like Christmas could almost be months away.
 
No familiar carols greet me when I walk into a store.  Christmas décor is sparse.  I’m still wearing short sleeves and sandals.  There’s no anticipation in the air – for the most part people seem to be going about life entirely as usual.
 
I want to stop them and say, “Don’t you know it’s almost Christmas?!”  But it feels so unreal even to me.  Perhaps it’s because I’m…well…here.
 
I’ve been away for family birthdays, Easters, and Thanksgivings before, but I had always had I’ll be home for Christmas to look forward to.
 
Not this time.
 
When self-pity starts to sneak in (yet again), I have to remind myself that He left His home for me.  He left the glory and beauty of heaven to walk our dusty, dirty streets.
 
God Himself came down to us.  His first cradle was a feeding trough in a barn.  His hands were rough carpenter’s hands.  His feet were sandal-clad and dusty.
 
How does all that even matter?  So 2000 years ago, this Baby was born, He grew up, He died on a cross, He returned to His home in heaven.
 
We live on planet Earth.  We live in a world riddled with wars and famine and cancer.  Christmas cheer, however merry and bright, can be overshadowed by the fears, questions, and heartache we face at one time or another.
 
But…
 
This is our hope - Emmanuel.  God with us.  Not God was with us.  Not God may be with us.  But Emmanuel, He is with us.  No matter what.
 
You know that story about Peter?  The one where Jesus is walking on the water and Peter gets out of the boat to meet Him?  What happens when Peter starts sinking?
 
Yeah, he cries for help.  But what does Jesus do?  He doesn’t calm the storm.  Not right then, at least.  Through the wind and the waves, He reaches for Peter’s hand…and pulls him up.
 
And we learn that our God may not always instantly calm the storm.  But He will reach out and take hold of us.  He is with us.
 
Emmanuel isn’t just some warm, fuzzy sentiment for cards and carols at Christmastime.  It’s for the storms, the ordinary Tuesday afternoons, and the wee hours of the night.  It’s a promise, an unshakeable reality that we can hold on to every. single. day.
 
And that is what I will choose to live by.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel...the holidays especially Christmas are the hardest to be away from family. You could do Christmas better if your family was there with you in hot Africa. Christmas is more then presents, songs, food, lights, a tree and all that goes with it, it's family. We have did Christmas in the jungle with part of our family sweating into the home made cookies we were making and it was wonderful. And we have spent Christmas without any family, hard to enjoy but possible when you understand why you are there. Here are a few things God always gave me during those times.
    1. I was not alone.
    2. Christmas was for every day.
    3. Be thankful I had someone to miss and miss me.
    4. Remember I chose to serve Him ANYWHERE, ANYTIME.
    5. Remember those around me who do not know Jesus.
    6. Be thankful God wants to continue to use me even in my frail emotions.
    7. Remember it's a season I am going through, this too will pass.
    I could go on and on but I just wanted to tell you we are praying for you as you spend your first of many Christmas's in a place the God of the universe has you. Flesh would never do what you are doing...parents would not ask you to do what you are doing, friends would not ask you to be separated from your family on Christmas. Only a loving Holy God who sees the big picture would ask you to step out of your comfort zone and serve Him. It is the most Christ like we can become when we do as Jesus did, step out of His comfort zone for us. The Christmas carols will become more real to you as you sing them in this foreign place. He becomes more real when all the comfort is strip from us. You become wiser, deeper, kinder, understanding, more loving and more willing to give of yourself as you struggle through this time. It will be worth it all when you see Jesus. Betty for Ace too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, Do you no if you wrote story's about the Bible i would read because i so understand you when i read the bible i am lost !! Love you Aunt Kim !! Merry Christmas Rachel

    ReplyDelete