Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Dear _____,

Dusty car at the gas station…  Okay, I almost laughed out loud when I saw that someone had scrawled Lave moi s.v.p. (Wash me please) across your windshield.  I’m used to seeing that on cars in the States (in English, of course), but seeing it here just struck me as really funny.

Monday…  You were the day of critters – of roosters and pesky insects and flying cockroaches.  Never a dull moment.

Mimolette…  I love you, I love you, I love you!  You taste like good, sharp cheddar.  In fact, I think you taste more cheddar-y than the cheddar I’ve had here!  I repeat: I love you.  You just might be my new best friend.  Well, you and Rue.  (Can’t hurt any feelings here, you know.)

Audio recorder on my phone…  Wow.  You are FULL of French files!!!  Hundreds and hundreds of them.  I wonder how many hours’ worth you contain?  I don’t know, but it’s going to take me a while to work my way through all of them for review.  It’ll keep me out of trouble.  Maybe.

Brain…  I’m amazed at how, when I’m sound asleep, you can process sounds around me and weave them into my dreams.  (Last night the horses next door were very persistent neigh-sayers.)

Guy wearing a t-shirt that said “It is what it is”…  Yup.  My sentiments exactly.

Can of pumpkin…  I’d been saving you for a special occasion, and last week’s Christmas party with the girls was just the thing.  I debated a considerable amount over what I should actually make, and then I remembered Mom’s delicious Pumpkin Spice Cake with Browned Butter Frosting.  Oh, yum.  (Not as good as yours, Mom.  I guess you’ll just have to come out here and make it for us.)

Hairspray…  You have many uses besides just keeping hair in place.  One of them being to stun cockroaches so I can kill them.  (It’s not really a good idea to whack a shoe against a glass shelf in the bathroom, but I wanted to make sure the stupid thing didn’t crawl away, so…hairspray to the rescue!)

Olive cheese balls…  You’re a family tradition for Christmas, and I’ll carry that on from West Africa.  It’s not a Christmas party without them!

Mom…  You know how you’d save the orange and apple peels, toss them in a pan with some water and cinnamon, and let it all simmer on the back of the stove?  I did that last week, and the smell brought back lots of homey memories.  And while we’re on the subject of memories, thank you for giving me so many good ones.  I don’t want to take my blessings for granted.

Gorée Island…  You were nothing like I imagined.  Not only would I go back for another class field trip in a heartbeat, I’d move there if I could!  (Pictures to come soon.)

Cockroaches…  Thanks to you, I’ve developed lightning-fast reflexes.  Doesn’t work out so well for you, does it?

Santa at the supermarket… I don’t know why, but your half-hearted attempt to “scare” me made me laugh.  Which I really needed that day.

Chocolate…  Someone [you know who you are] likes to say that the best way to deal with temptation is to eat it.  I followed that advice.  It’s a good thing there wasn’t more of you to eat…

Well-toned, strikingly-colored chestnut horse…  Out of all the horses I see in the city every day, you are my favorite.  Mom says I should stop and pet you.  I’m not sure if that’s acceptable or not, but it sure is tempting.  Oh, and also, you have crumbs in your whiskers.  Just thought I should let you know that.

Broccoli...  I came (to the produce aisle).  I saw (that you looked good – a rare treat).  I conquered (and by conquered I mean purchased).

Young lady around the corner selling coffee in the evenings…  You always have an extra-friendly smile and greeting for me.  The last few times I’ve been past, I haven’t seen you, and I’ve missed your cheery presence.

Friend who I went shopping with one day after class…  Those stores were something, weren’t they?!  I had no idea such a place existed here.  As a rule I’m most definitely not a shopper, but I had a good time with you.  It was exhausting, by the time all was said and done, but it was fun.

Fellow missionaries who’ve been here at least a year…  Okay, I’ll admit.  When I first came (right in the middle of dreadfully hot-and-humid August), I thought you were crazy.  You say it gets cold?!  In Africa?  It’s now December, and yes, you were right.  It hasn’t been consistently cool the past month or so, but there have been times where I’ve curled up under a blanket…or put on a hoodie…or closed all my windows.

Christmas Eve…  You don’t feel exceptionally festive thus far, but you are a day off class, and therefore a day to sleep in a bit, which I can hardly complain about!

Ranch seasoning…  Your anti-caking ingredient is, by all appearances, no match for West African humidity.

Goat… You climbed on a pile of rocks to watch me over the wall as I walked past.  You didn’t take your eyes off me once until I was safely out of view.   Did it have anything to do with the fact that I’ve been saying I’m going to “kid”napp one of your babies?  I can’t say that your fears are entirely unfounded…

Brothers Grimm…  I’ll bet you never imagined that when you penned your spooky tales of crumb trails and lost children and evil witches in German, they would one day help me learn French.  Did you?  Yeah, I thought not.  (We’re using “shared stories” – stories both the helper and the learner know, such as fairy tales or Bible stories – in this part of the program.  Obviously they’re told in French.  Not English.  Or German.  That wouldn’t be very helpful for learning French.)

Singing teakettle…  You’re one of my favorite sounds of the morning.  Hot water for a shower!

YOU…  Thanks for stopping by.  I’ll be back tomorrow (barring any unforeseen circumstances) with a little something for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment