Friday, February 7, 2014

Dear _____,

Tuna pizza…  As weird as you sound, you didn’t taste bad at all.
 
Guy with Steelers sweatshirt…  I couldn’t possibly care less about sports or sports teams.  I’m mentioning you here for Gramps, because that’s who I thought of when I saw you.
 
Korean friend from MTC…  I’m going to attempt a version of bibimbap (mixed rice dish) this weekend.  I’m a little at a loss on exactly how to replicate the sauce with the ingredients I have available, but it’s worth a shot.  Here’s to you, Yujung!
 
 
Mefloquine…  Before I left, my doctor prescribed you, and I have to admit, I sort of freaked out when I read some of the potential side effects.  BUT…none of them have been a problem for me, and malaria is an experience I’d like to avoid if at all possible.  So I take you faithfully every week.
 
Baking powder…  I knew this already, but you are important.  I made pancakes last week and didn’t have quite the amount the recipe called for.  Yeah, that was definitely not the most impressive batch of pancakes I’ve ever made.
 
 
Water filter…  Thankfully you were easily fixed, with a ceramic candle (see above).  I have a spare candle now, so next time (if there is a next time), I can fix you all by myself.
 
Taxi driver who wanted to charge me less…  From point A to point B it normally costs X dollars, and even then, I kind of have to fight for it.  So when I had to go farther the other night, I was pretty sure I’d have a hard time getting a taxi for X dollars.  You agreed without discussion, then we arrived and I gave you the money, you actually wanted to give me change.  I wasn’t quite sure what to make of that.
 
 
Susie…  Thanks for coming, friend!  It was so good to have you.  Miss you!
 
Walking salesman…  I’m impressed.  You had belts around one arm, watches on the other, remote controls in your hand, and a stack of wallets on your head.  But I don’t need any of that, so thanks anyway!
 
Coconut yogurt…  Well, that’s a unique flavor.  Hey, I bet you’d be good in a mango smoothie!  (Which is entirely pointless to think about, since it isn’t mango season and I don’t have a blender.)
 
 
Headphones…  You are my defense against flirty taxi drivers.  I settle on a price, get in the car, put in my headphones, and voilà!  I’m left alone.  (I can’t believe I didn’t think of doing this before.  In fact I wouldn’t have thought of it at all, had my friend not told me she often listens to music when taking a bus or taxi.)  And as a bonus, I can get some of my French review done.
 
Church mouse…  I saw you running across the floor one day in French class (which is held in a church).  I didn’t scream, I didn’t freak out, but I may have been slightly distracted for the rest of the class.
 
 
Monarchy…  I’d never played you before, but you made for a fun evening with Susie.  It’s been long enough since history classes in school that I’d forgotten there were eight Edwards who reigned in England.  Or six Georges.  Or that the house of Hanover reigned for a total of 187 years.  I felt smarter after reviewing my British royalty facts. ;)
 
Moto passenger…  I’ve seen a lot of interesting “cargo” on motos, but you were the funniest I’ve seen lately.  You were holding a yellow piece of metal behind your back that looked suspiciously like it belonged to the trunk of a taxi.
 
Eb…  Where are you?  Eb?  Ebbb!!! [in an Oliver Douglas voice]
 


February… Really?  You’re here?  Already?

Friday…  You’re finally here!  Hurray!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment