Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Shopping

I enjoyed grocery shopping back home, and I’ve gotten to the point where I (mostly) enjoy it here.
 
 
Making a list, checkin’ it twice…
 
I’ve gotten out of the habit of meal plans.  I tried it for a while, but in the end, I’m not sure how much it helped me.  Having a more fluid “meal ideas” list seems to be more practical.  After all, when you can’t be 100% sure what ingredients will be available from week to week (or day to day!), trying to adhere rigidly to a meal plan is a recipe for disaster.  (That was a long sentence and rather ironic choice of phrasing.)
 
It seems to happen quite frequently: I’ll have a meal in mind (usually for company), only to discover that one or more of the key ingredients aren’t available at the store.  (Or worse still, that the store is closed!)  So I have to change my plans on the spot.  More work/stress than grocery shopping back home?  Yes.  But I enjoy the challenge most of the time.
 
 
Small bills and change are rather rare commodities, but very handy when shopping for only one person.
 
(Patty, the 5000 note reminds me of you.  Guess why?)
 
 
I have a reusable shopping bag and I’m not afraid to use it.  Sometimes I even use it for its intended purpose.
 
I don’t have an open-air market in my area, but I do have several supermarkets to choose from, along with a number of fruit or veggie stands.  My favorite supermarket is a nice 10-minute walk from the apartment.
 
At this point, I don’t have a set shopping day.  I just go whenever I run out of food.  (Okay, not quite.)
 
 
Unloading
 
 
These make a tasty treat when popped in the freezer.  (They're not such a treat when the electricity goes out for nearly a day...)
 
 
Getting the veggies ready for their bleach bath
 
So there you have it.  More everyday life.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment