Sunday, August 19, 2012

Grace and the Art of Receiving

"It is more blessed to give than to receive."

I've always liked that verse.  I used to think it meant, "Try to be the giver instead of the receiver whenever possible."

...Of course, if there's going to be giving, someone has to be receiving, too.  (Brilliant deduction, I know.)

That's where I used to start getting squirmy.  I was a whole lot more comfortable being on the giving end than the receiving end.  After all, I already had everything I needed (and more!!), and there were so many people in need.  I felt guilty accepting what I didn't need while others went without what they did need.  I also often felt that I didn't deserve others' generosity or kindness.

It wasn't until in past several months or so that God started convicting me in this area.  Yes, giving is good.  But my unwillingness to receive from others (and ultimately from Him) wasn't a mark of spirituality or humility.  It was actually coming from a heart of pride and a desire not to be "obligated" to someone else.  (Besides, giving is a blessing, and I don't own the exclusive right to that blessing!  The Lord wants all of His children to experience it.)

As I slowly began to learn how to receive God's grace - to open my hands and embrace each gift He chose to bless me with - I realized He wanted me to receive from others, too.  In fact, sometimes His grace came in the form of a gift or encouragement from another believer.  Do I deserve any of it?  No!  But that's just what makes it grace.  I no longer have to feel guilty or unworthy as I receive.  Each grace gift that comes my way is a reminder that our God is so very loving and good.

Receiving is still hard sometimes...thankfully God is patient while we learn, right?

---



Didn't God do an amazing job with His creation?!

No comments:

Post a Comment