Monday, November 11, 2013

Dinner

 
This was last night’s dinner.  It’s called a chawarma (pronounced shwarma), and it’s a popular “fast food” item here.  Originally from the Middle East, it’s a flatbread filled with roasted meat (usually beef, although I think there might be chicken ones, too), tomatoes, onions, parsley, and a sauce, which varies somewhat depending on the place.  I think the sauce usually includes mustard, and one version I had tasted reminiscent of tahini (which wouldn’t be surprising, given its origin).  And yes, it has French fries.  I think that must be a local adaptation rather than authentically Middle Eastern.  There seems to be a great fondness for French fries here.  Pretty tasty, I must say.
 
On a random side note, when I went to Mexico, there was a taco stand that we ate at a few times.  They had a “California-style” burrito (which I didn’t try).  What made it “California-style”?  No, it wasn’t served on a surf board.  It had French fries in it.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment