Friday, April 18, 2014

Hello, Africa...

Uncle Dan and Auntie Tina were here for a short (but full!) visit.  It was their first time in Africa.  Most of the pictures are from those four days, although I threw a few other ones in there that hadn't gotten posted yet.
 
 
It's been a while since I've shopped for more than one person.  I had to bleach my produce in batches. :)
 
 
No, this isn't a comet or shooting star.  It's just what happened when I tried to take a zoomed-in picture of a starry night.
 
 
 
 
No weird camera effects or editing here, just a slightly shaky hand!  Cool, huh?
 
- - -
 
 
We visited the island - third time for me, and it still hasn't lost its charm.
 
 
 
Big and little, modern and traditional.  All side by side (or at least within the same general vicinity).
 
 
- - -
 
Is it weird to sing O Come, Emmanuel when Easter is just around the corner?  'Cause I can't seem to help myself.
 
Just like I can't help myself when I start reading Evangelists.  I gotta read the whole thing.  In one sitting.
 
 
I've lost track of how many times I've read that book, but trust me, it's a lot.  (And by "a lot" I don't mean six or seven times.  Waaay more than that.)  I know the story so well that reading it is like visiting a gloriously familiar place with old friends.
 
 
Did I hear the word "obsessive"?  No, I'm not obsessive.  It just happens to be the best story I've ever read. :)
 
But of course, it isn't the only book I enjoy.
 
 
- - -
 
 
The day started out a bit overcast, so I didn't think much about sunscreen.  Plus, I'd spent most of the day at the island before, and I didn't get burned.
 
No such luck this time.
 
My nose got the worst of it, and nearly a week later, I'm peeling off bits every time I look in the mirror.
 
 
 
 
 
- - -
 
 
Potted plants are my one weakness.
 
(Although I still haven't gotten any for my place...)
 
 
 
 
 
This time I was trying to take pictures other than just doors and windows, which is hard, 'cause there are so many cool ones on the island.
 
 
 
 
 
 
I can hardly see a clay pot without thinking of 2 Corinthians 4:7.  Some days I'm super thankful that clay pots are exactly what God likes to use.
 
Some days I'd rather be something a little more impressive and a lot less fragile than a clay pot.
 
- - -
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
- - -
 
 
 
 
I was unable to refrain entirely from doors and windows.  Especially with colors like this.  Gorgeous!
 
 
Did I mention this island has a lot of color? :)
 
 
 
One of my especially artsy shots...
 
 
- - -
 
 
That fish was grilled with the teeth still in.  If you look closely, you can see them.
 
 
We're so American - taking pictures of food and taking pictures of people taking pictures.
 
- - -
 
 
Eeek!  The aliens landed and left their brains on the beach!
 
 
Rather an unfortunate name for a boat.  Beer.
 
 
 
Guess who this made us think of?!
 
- - -
 
 
We went for a drive after church on Sunday.  Tablecloths, anyone?
 
 
 
 
 
It was funny to see one of these here - I think it was a first for me.
 
 
We couldn't believe how many shells were on the beach.  So different from back home.
 
 
 
Note to self: Don't cross arms next time.  Doesn't look so good in pictures.
 
 
 
 
There.  That ought to be enough pictures for a while. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment