Thursday, April 3, 2014

Progress, a Road Trip, and the Golden State

Four hours of Phase 4 down…496 to go.
 
We had a meeting Tuesday, so no class then.  Wednesday I woke up sick (even though being sick is never fun, I was actually glad, because it meant I HAD to rest), so I cancelled class that day and today.  Friday is a holiday.
 
Phase 4 is starting out with a bang, I'm telling you. ;)
 
It's crazy to think just how far my language ability has come since I arrived – when I understood just a smattering of basic vocab (colors, numbers, animals, common household items, etc.) – to being able to discuss politics and movies and the school system.  Granted, it's still a lot of work, and it's far (FAR!) from polished, and the person listening still has to exercise a considerable amount of patience, and…you get the point.
 
I still make plenty of mistakes.  Like the other day, when I thought I was saying, "She pushes the button on the computer," I was actually saying, "She oppresses the button on the computer."  Or when I mixed up the words for value/price and courage.
 
Every once in while I get to the point where I've seriously had enough of being the village idiot and bumbling around all. the. time.  But for the most part it's funny to me.
 
- - -
 
 
The cockroaches are becoming more numerous as the weather gets warmer.  I could probably write a post several paragraphs long about how much I hate them, but…
 
- you probably already know that
 
- you probably don’t want to read an entire post dedicated to my complaints about cockroaches or anything else
 
But I will just explain that picture.  The other morning I was calmly eating breakfast ("calmly" is normally how I like to eat), when…HORRORS!!!  I saw a cockroach crawling on Evangelists in Chains.  I hate cockroaches regardless of size or where I see them, but this…this was too much.  "You disgusting thing, don't you know that book is practically an heirloom?!"
 
Okay, so I didn't react quite that strongly.  But still.  My poor book.
 
- - -
 
 
The meeting Tuesday was out in another town – a 1 ½ hour drive, or something like that.  I didn't really watch the clock.  We made it out there fine, but when we got ready to leave, the van wouldn't start.  Thus the above picture of everyone standing around.
 
Thankfully it did start eventually, and (even more important) it kept running the whole way back. :)
 
 
It was really nice to get out of the city.  I hadn't realized how much of a city girl I'm not until coming here.  The noise, the traffic, the tall buildings blocking the horizon, the people everywhere…
 
Anyway, I was more than happy for a least a few hours of nature and open space.
 
 
"They're good for your health and good for your teeth," one of the girls said as we passed the gummy bears around.
 
On Opposite Day.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
There were some really cute goats behind that truck – but you'll just have to take my word for it.  I tried about three times to snap a picture, and each time my attempt was foiled.
 
 
 
Everyone was tired on the way back…
 
 
Baobab trees: classically African.
 
 
Most of the buildings we saw on the drive were, at most, two stories.  Such a difference from the city!  A welcome difference.
 
 
 
 
"Minute Maid – it's everywhere, just like Coca-Cola," I thought.  Wait, it's made by the Coca-Cola company…
 
 
 
 
This was the first time I'd been on the toll road.  (You're welcome for that fascinating bit of information.)
 
 
All that green at once?  Delightful.
 
 
 
Once we started getting into the city, we saw a lot more billboards.  Most of the ones on that wall are food-related (seasonings, etc.).  Quite colorful, aren't they?
 
 
- - -
 
The other week, Michelle sent me a link of how you know you're from CA, and I found it pretty amusing.  Some of them don't apply to me in the least, but others are spot on.
 
I suppose it's homesickness that makes me more likely to extol the virtues of my state.  (Seriously, though, politics aside, California is awesome.)
 
I've been away for over seven months now.
 
Half a world away from home.
 
Distance can separate me physically from family and friends…from home…from so much of what is familiar…but it cannot separate me from God's love.
 
Nothing can.
 
Nothing, nothing, nothing.
 
…And as far as home goes, a little bit of home will be coming next week.  A couple from my church will be visiting for a few days.  That'll be good. :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment