Monday, May 12, 2014

Dear _____,

Sautéed mushrooms and onions...  I'll confess: you're so delicious, I can consume a surprising quantity.  Not that you're especially filling or calorie rich.  Besides, you must be healthy, because you ARE veggies, after all.  So I won't feel guilty.  Oh, and while we're on the subject of mushrooms…did you know there are people who can't stand you?!  <insert horrified gasp>

Little boy that dashed out from between two parked cars...  It was dark, and you scared me half to death.  (Scared as in startled, not afraid.  Just so we're clear.)  It took the rest of the block for my heart rate to return to normal.

Sideview mirrors on buses stating "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear"...  Why are you in English?

Friend at the bus stop...  Thanks for being so preoccupied that I could get off my bus, walk around behind you, and poke you in the ribs.  Hee hee!

Marie-Claude... You make me laugh.  When we walked past that guy in the market, he asked us (in French), "Do you speak French or English?"  You responded, "Arabic," and kept walking.  I've always wanted to say something like that, but I'm not sure I could do it with a straight face.



Ginger juice...  First and foremost, you are proof that I am my mother's daughter: I love ginger.  Second, wow, were you ever strong!  A sip or two and I felt like a fire-breathing dragon of sorts.  (Not that I really know what it feels like to breathe fire OR be a dragon…)

Batman [a boy who lives across from the language center and apparently likes to pretend he's a super-hero]...  Thanks for entertaining (read: distracting) Marie-Claude and I while we're supposed to be studying.

Guy wearing a pink hat...  I STILL am not used to how much pink (and purple!) guys wear here.  A pink t-shirt is one thing, but a pink hat in a very girly style...sorry dude.  Doesn't work too well.  But it's a free country, so you don't have to listen to me.  I know, you weren't going to.
Frozen Brussels sprouts...  Every time I see a bag of you in the supermarket (which granted, isn't all that often), I think of a certain friend.  And of the children's book I might one day write about her: The Girl Who Fell in Love with Brussels Sprouts. ;)
Goliath...  You probably think I'm ridiculous, opening up that hall window several times a day and leaning out so I can see you half-hiding in the corner of the wall.  If you'd just come inside, I wouldn't have to make a spectacle of myself like that.  I'm sure you'd like it in here.  You wouldn't go hungry.  Plenty of cockroaches to eat!
Alarm clock...  You stupid thing!  You interrupted my dream!  I normally wouldn't care, as I normally don't remember my dreams at all, but this was different.  I was dreaming that I'd almost captured Goliath and there was another, smaller gecko right next to him that I was also going to catch and bring inside.  And then you went off.  Hmph!  (Do y'all get the impression that I'm a little crazy for geckos?!)


Germain [my host family's little boy]...  Are you friends with me or my camera?  Sometimes I think you're more interested in the latter than the former.

Bus with words "Life goes on" (yes, in English) plastered across one window...  I feel compelled to inform you: that's a somewhat insensitive sentiment to begin with.  Furthermore, it's downright senseless on the side of a bus.  Especially since it's in English.  Here.  I mean, what exactly is your point?

Cockroaches...  I am TIRED of your parties in my kitchen.  You are not welcome, not wanted, not invited!  I am not a violent person by nature, but you bring out the worst in me.  You're disgusting!  Revolting!  Abominable!  (There.  I feel a bit better now.)

Cow fridge...  Yeah, I like cows, but I don't think that'll match my décor very well.

Dog walking his humans...  I only saw part of you at first, and I was like, "Wow, what a clean, healthy-looking dog!"  Then I realized you were on a leash, and at the other end was an ex-pat couple.  Holding hands!  <insert another horrified gasp>

No comments:

Post a Comment