Monday, August 27, 2018

A Faye Breakfast


I love Senegalese food.  It wasn't until I went back for visits and stayed with Julien and Angèle that I realized how much I loved Senegalese breakfasts - at least the Faye version.

Here are the essentials for a good breakfast chez Angèle:

Baguettes
Single-serve packets of Nescafé instant coffee
Sugar
Powdered milk 
Powdered chocolate milk for the kids
A kettle of hot water

Everyone sits around the table.  We pour water for the drinks and cut open the baguettes - a process which leaves a thousand tiny crumbs on the table cloth and tiled floor.

On the baguettes you can put anything you want.  You can go simple, with cheese or Chocopain (sort of a peanut version of Nutella) or butter and honey.  Usually that's what the kids get.  Angèle and I tend to go for something more savory.  My personal favorites include fried eggs and onion sauce; akara (fritters made from white beans and seasoning) and a spicy tomato-onion sauce; and any kind of leftovers - spicy stewed lentils, meat with onion sauce, vermicelli with onion sauce...

And speaking of this onion sauce?  I have never encountered a cuisine as in love with onions as the Senegalese.  In the markets you'll see stacks and stacks and STACKS of onions (literally tons - this is not an exaggeration), and they find their way into just about every savory dish made.

I never use a recipe, but here is the gist of it:
A decent amount of vegetable oil
Lots of chopped onions, preferably yellow or white
Dijon mustard (I've used brown mustard when I don't have Dijon on hand and that's good, too)
Bouillon cubes (or Maggi cubes, if you can find them)
Apple cider vinegar
A bit of water
Salt and pepper
Seasonings, to taste (I usually use a pinch of cloves, but thyme would be another pretty typical addition)

Optional additions -
Tomato paste
Lemon juice
Chile peppers
Fresh garlic

You sau the onions in the oil first, then add the other ingredients and stir until everything cooks down and the sauce is a rich brown color.  It's delightful on grilled meat, eggs, rice, sandwiches, french fries...

The smell and taste transport me instantly back to Angèle's kitchen and remind me of all the happy meals I had there.

No comments:

Post a Comment