Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Farmers Market Finds


Going to the farmers market on Saturday mornings is one of the highlights of my week.  Fresh, local produce just blocks away?  Yes, please!


Cucumbers:

My favorite way to eat it is with tomatoes and onions, all diced up and tossed with feta and a good vinaigrette.

Zucchini:

One of the ladies selling vegetables told me she especially loves this stripped zucchini, so I gave it a try.  It's delicious!  Slightly sweeter, and the skin is nicer in both texture and taste.

I broiled some with the fresh basil and threw it into a salad.  I've made a cheese-salsa-sliced zucchini-diced jalapeño salad.  I've fried it up with rice and soy sauce.  I've sauteed it with sausage and onions. I also like to cut it in spears and dip it in hummus.  Really, it's such a lovely, versatile vegetable that it's hard to go wrong.


Beets:

I peel, dice, and freeze them for smoothies.  So good!  One of my current favorite combinations is beets, strawberries, blueberries, banana, peaches, fresh ginger, and romaine.

Patty pan squash:

With half, I sauteed sausage and onions in a bit of butter, then added dried oregano, fennel seeds, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.

With the other half, I sauteed onions in butter, then added bacon bits, Lawry's seasoned salt, diced pickled jalapeño, and topped it with shredded cheese when it was done cooking.  This may be my favorite culinary discovery recently.

Not pictured:

The fat, juicy blueberries that positively burst with flavor.  I freeze the ones I manage not to eat as soon as I get home.


The flowers are just pretty. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment