Thursday, August 16, 2018

Sunday Drives


Not every Sunday, but when I can, I like to take an afternoon drive.  After church and lunch, I make myself some coffee, pour it into a travel mug, and hop in the car.  I have a few favorite roads to drive along, but I'm always on the lookout for new ones, too.

It doesn't take long to leave the city limits and then the fun begins.

In an hour, you can see so many things ~
A profusion of wildflowers, blooming in the ditches with their characteristic enthusiasm 
Long grasses blowing gently in the breeze
Fields of corn and soybeans
Cows grazing placidly
Quaint towns and villages
Red barns and silos
Trees on either side of the road, making a delightful green canopy
Dappled shade under said canopy
Woods and meadows
And lakes...always lakes

The insects and red-winged blackbirds sing their summer songs, one of my favorite sounds.  When you drive through marshy areas (and there are plenty, because of all the lakes), you can smell this somewhat sweet, herbal sort of scent.  I think it might be fennel or something like that.  It's one of my very favorite scents in the world.  If my childhood had a scent, this would be it - the way the air smelled on the many walks through our own marshland parks.

It's lovely and relaxing, a time to process the week gone by and think through the one ahead.

1 comment: