Thursday, December 13, 2018

Legacy


Former President Bush, age 94.
John Allen Chau, age 26.
My own darling Grandma June, age 78.


These are deaths, lives, legacies I've been pondering recently.  Each of them lived lives so drastically different from each other; each of their legacies is unique.  Reading about them, talking about them, and listening to what others have to say about them has given me a lot to reflect on.


The thing is, none of these people got to choose their legacy right before they died.

They'd been choosing it all those years they were living.

It's stopped me short and made me think - not in a dark or morbid way - what will my legacy be?


Grandma's legacy is this, in part:

She laughed a lot and made those around her laugh, sometimes until tears ran down our cheeks and our stomachs hurt.
She appreciated beauty - artwork and flowers and lipstick and pretty dishes.
She was generous, though she didn't always have much.
She was personable and affectionate.
The kitchen was her domain, and she mastered it like no one else I've known.  She enjoyed good food (we never seemed to have a conversation that didn't circle around to food at some point).  She was always whipping something up, always sharing goodies with neighbors and friends.  She understood the science of baking and how flavors worked together.  She could look at three or four recipes, take what she liked from each, and create her own recipe.  I tell you, this woman knew food!

Most importantly, her legacy is one of love.  She loved her kids and grandkids more than anything else in the world.  Later in her life, she learned to love God, His Word, and His people (and the miracle of that almost takes my breath away sometimes).



I want to carry on her legacy of love and laughter and feeding people good food.

And as I continue to mull over the question, other things that I want to be part of my legacy come to mind:

Kindness.
Genuine, warm, deep connection with people.
Loyalty.
Wisdom.
Sacrificial generosity.
Joy.
Peace.

When I say I believe God to be true and that His grace has changed my life - I want that to make a difference in how I live today.  If He is who He says He is, than this truth is worth every moment of my life.

May that be my legacy.

- - -

Teach us to number our days, 
that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
- Psalm 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment