Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Victory



Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?
Thanks be to God!

He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
- 1 Corinthians 15:55, 57


Grandma had a fall (of sorts) just after Thanksgiving and broke a vertebrae.  When Mom called to tell me, I somehow knew I wasn't going to get to see her at Christmas.

Last Thursday she called to let me know that Grandma was on hospice.

Early Sunday morning, December 9th, she went to be with Jesus.


During that time between Thursday and Sunday, tears came off and on as I thought of the lasts and the won't happens and the never agains.

I'll never get to see her again on this side of heaven.
This is the last time I get to hear her voice.
This Christmas I won't be getting her any treats from Trader Joe's, like she always used to enjoy so much.
I won't be able to send her a bouquet again.
I'll never be able to ask her cooking questions or tell her about the yummy recipes I've found.
She won't get to see Grace, her youngest great-granddaughter.
If I ever get married, she won't be at my wedding.

I've thought of her every time I've stood at my stove since then and every time I see the pink roses in the living room.  I miss her - we all miss her - terribly.


Saying good-bye is one of my least favorite things in the world.

But this?

This is not the end.

This is not defeat.

The very worst thing, the final fiery dart Satan and his forces throw at a child of God in an effort to destroy that soul, is the doorway to eternity.  Not the ending of endings, but the truest beginning.  A crossing.  A passing.  A veil pushed aside.  Dying is not death, but life.  This is victory.

Victory!

Even with tears in my eyes, I want to shout this with everything in me:

Death - you have done your worst, and she is safe.  You cannot touch the soul of one redeemed by Jesus.  You have been defeated.  Your power is gone.  Jesus is our conquering Hero, our Deliverer, our Life.

Thanks be to God, who has given us the victory.


3 comments:

  1. (((HUG))) I am so sorry that this special lady in your life, is not here for you any longer. Victory...is true, but it is still hard. I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the prayers, Joyce. They are needed and appreciated. Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my heart is heavy for you as I relate with your words. Joy came to her , and your heart is lifted by the thought!

    ReplyDelete