Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Where are you?

[The portions in italics are excerpts from this week's chapter - Chapter 10 - of Grace for the Good Girl.]

It's the first question God asked in the pages of Scripture - posed to a man and woman in hiding.

Sin had left them exposed and vulnerable.  They knew it; they felt it.  So they hid.  They made fig-leaf coverings to hide their shame, but it could not overcome the fear that held them captive.

Sin does the same thing to us - leaves us vulnerable and exposed, fills us with shame and fear.  We hide, too.

"I hide behind my mask of performance so people will think I am smart, capable, and put together.  I hide behind the reputation I have established rather than risk trusting an unpredictable Jesus.  I hide behind my list of rules so I can check off each one, as if I'm another step closer to God because I've followed them.  I hide behind my mask of strength because I'm ashamed of my weakness."

We hide behind lies like this:

"If you serve in the church, then you will be acceptable.

If you are responsible, then you will be respected.

If you follow all the rules, then you will be good enough.

If you try hard, then you'll be more like God.

If you act righteous, then you will become righteous.

If you keep your house clean, then you will be a good wife.

If you make healthy dinners every night, then you will be a good mom.

If you wake up at 5 a.m. and pray every morning, then you will be a good Christian."

It might seem to work for a while, but in this "hiding place" of our own doing, there's a lurking fear.  There is fear because deep inside we know that no matter how hard we try we can never be good enough.  There is fear because we often fall short, and we know it.  So where does that leave us?

There is another hiding place.  It's called grace.

In grace, Jesus reminds us that nothing can separate us from His love.  He reminds us that our righteousness is complete; our debt is paid by His sacrifice alone.  He reminds us that no, we are not enough - but that's okay, because HE is enough, and that's what it's all about.

"'Where are you?' God asks, not because He doesn't know, but because He knows I have to come out of hiding in order to be found.  To be healed.  To whole.

"God's desire is that we live in freedom and drink from the wide, deep, powerful River of Life."

* * *

Where are you right now...hiding behind fig-leaves, or taking refuge in the hiding place of God's grace?

No comments:

Post a Comment