Wednesday, June 6, 2012



Amen!

---



A set of "only-God-is-perfect" potholders.   (Kind of like the "only-God-is-perfect" quilts I've made.)   The tops were okay until I went to quilt them and put the binding on.  Then they got all wonky and puckered and just...not the way I wanted them to be.   I'll admit I was more than a bit disappointed.   You know, it's crazy how perfectionism can invade so many aspects of life...including such trivial things as potholders.

Lord, help me give up this foolish idea that I can be perfect, that I can do everything perfectly.



It turns out applique is pretty fun.  I love trying new things that end up not being too complicated - and even though it LOOKED like it would be complicated, it wasn't.   Yay!   A new way to use scraps.

---



Do you know what this is?   It's a sweet pea plant.  It should be in the ground and not in my hand, but somehow it was uprooted.   I seriously have no idea how - I went to water the garden and there it was, lying on the ground.  So sad.

---

"As good girls, we subconsciously label ourselves as the strong ones, the responsible ones, the sweet ones, or the right ones.   We try to stand tall and capable as the good Christian, the good wife, the good mom, and the good one.   But Jesus is calling us to a deeper, truer, freer identity.   All He wants is simply you - minus your good works, minus your perfect attendance, minus your politeness.   When you really believe that, you may discover that all you want is Jesus, simply Jesus.   Not just to get to heaven or to help you be a good person or do the right thing, but to simply love and be loved by Him."

- from Chapter 2 of Grace for The Good Girl



Summer reading selections

**

Books I've read so far this year:

~ The Mitford Series by Jan Karon (Loved them!)

~ Evangelists in Chains by Elizabeth Wagler (I don't even know how many times I've read that book...)

~ Crazy Love by Francis Chan (So-so.   Some good points, but not the most spectacular read of the year.)

~ Bad News Religion by Greg Albrecht (Very good!   The author compares law-keeping vs. grace and points out how it infiltrates even the church.   There were a few things I wouldn't necessarily agree with, but it overall was a very good book.  I've read it twice and I'm sure I'll want to read it again.)

~ Slices of Life by Oretta Loving (This is a devotional-type by a missionary and Bible translation.   Encouraging read!)

~ Spy Cat by Peg Kehret (A kids' book)

~ They're Torturing Teachers in Room 104 by Jerry Piasecki (Another kids' book)

Oh, I suppose I should also mention The Nose That Didn't Fit...Esther made me read it out loud when I was there. winky

---

This week got off to a sweet start: I got to spend a few days with Esther and Michelle.

Fantabulous!



Dear friend...



...and her little sister.



Touring the garden



This picture makes me smile.  :)



Picking blueberries was fun.   Partially because we could snack as we worked, but mostly because of the visiting.



So many blueberries, so little time.  Or something.



Michelle's family has goats.   They're one of my very favorite farm animals.   (Although I don't have to deal with goat kids escaping from pens all the time...)





You girls are phenomenal.   Thanks for the fun times.  Love you!!

---



Packing in progress



I haven't mentioned much about my Summer job.

I'll be working in the kitchen at a nearby Christian camp. I leave tomorrow, and I'll be there for about two months.

You may remember that last year I was praying for a job and God's answer was Wait.  That's changed, obviously.

God is good...through the waiting and the yes's and the unknowns.

He is faithful.   Whether my faith is strong or wavering, He stays faithful.   He is at work even when I don't see it, even when I fret, even when I doubt.

He is here, and He always will be.   In this room, as my little nephew stated the other week in Sunday School.

---

Good night, now!

No comments:

Post a Comment