Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Looking Back: Gifts

Yes, the past year has been hard.  But in spite of that - or maybe because of that - some very special gifts stand out.

The Gifts
 
Marie-Claude: Her patience - oh my goodness.  Incredible.  From the first levels of the French program, which consisted of words and simple phrases, lots of pointing, and mind-numbing repetition, she's spent hours upon hours helping us improve bit by bit.  Although I know I still sound like a little kid when I speak French, she's never disparaging, and her corrections are always given gently.  I appreciate her more than I can say.

Julien and Angèle: Again, they've been amazing.  Shortly after they officially became my host family, I was visiting with Angèle, and she told me how honored they felt to have that role.  Now, as some of you probably know, I don't like being a burden or a bother.  At all.  Sometimes I go to rather ridiculous lengths to avoid the possibility of inconveniencing someone.  But when I got here, I was one big inconvenience.  ("Please just let me go hide under a rock!")  So someone seeing it as an honor, not a burden, to walk with you through all your bumbling ineptitude...well, I call that a pretty big grace-gift.  It made me want to cry thankful tears when she told me that.

NTM family: I feel very blessed to have the leadership that I do; I see humility, genuine care for those they're responsible for, and a passion for God's character and glory.  I've also enjoyed getting to know the other E2ers (those in the French program).  I feel like I'm in good hands (humanly speaking, ultimately I know I'm in God's hands) and good company!

Technology: I'm not sure it helps me miss home less, but it does make me feel less isolated.  What did people do before this wonder?!

Family and friends back home: You've remembered me.  Prayed for me.  Wrote.  Emailed.  Skyped.  Sent packages.  Supported me financially.  Kept me up-to-date with the happenings back home.  Tracked with my adjustments via blog and newsletter.  Made me laugh.  Let me cry or vent as needed.  Encouraged me from the Word.  I can't even begin to imagine doing this without y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment