Thursday, June 11, 2015

Souvenirs from West Africa

One of Angèle's recent oft-repeated lines is, "Do/buy/take this so you'll have a souvenir of here..."

It makes me laugh a bit sometimes.  I think she's afraid I'll leave and just forget it all.

As if I could forget these (nearly) two years of learning and changing and growing.

Sure, the skirts, the jewelry, and the carved wooden elephants are all nice keepsakes, but the real souvenirs are the ones I have in my heart.

The memories -

Of special times with friends.
Of crazy experiences that made me laugh and go, "Only in West Africa..."
Of life lessons learned.
Of the all people who've touched my heart.
Of this place that's changed me so deeply.
Of the great things I've watched God do.

Those things - more than anything I could pack in a suitcase - are what I want to take home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment