Sunday, March 27, 2011

Simple Living: A complicated approach to life

That might have been a rather tongue-in-cheek title, although "simple living" does take a bit more forethought than I'd anticipated.  Here's my log, highlights only, for the week-and-a-half.

Tuesday - Armed with a cup of coffee (strategically brewed before the restrictions started)..."Here we go...this simple living thing might be fun."

Wednesday - "This is Rachel. I'll take your order..."  We did our supply buying for the week-and-a-half by radio.  We took turns communicating with the other team by radio, writing down orders, and giving them our own supply lists.  The process was somewhat tedious.  But I enjoyed my time "manning" the radio while capable and friendly supply buyers Esther and Susan took turns writing things down.

Thursday - My leftover coffee ran out.  The afternoon was hot and dreadfully humid - a perfect day for the kitchen, no?!

Friday - Our camping trip was cancelled due to possible thunderstorms.  I was not a happy camper at the news.

Saturday - Not a drop of rain until the middle of the afternoon.  My classmate and I were sipping tea when we heard the distant rumble...soon it began to pour.  Later, I had to run down to the mailboxes.  In a few minutes, I was quite thoroughly drenched!  Happily, we weren't camping.

Sunday - Coffee with Carol and Esther.  A lovely way to spend the afternoon.

Monday - At the end of a long day, I only wanted one thing...coffee.  But there was none to be had.  Truly tragic.

Tuesday - "I was just going to pick up the phone and call you..."  "Really?! ...Do you want to come down and keep me company?"  "Of course!!!"  Hanging out with Esther is always fun.  And I got a real, old-fashioned letter from long-lost friend Carla.  Man, I hadn't realized how much I missed her hugs and her smile.

Wednesday - 3.25 hours of fun with my partner in crime...er, in cleaning.  Dear Michelle.  So glad she puts up with me.

Thursday - My first experience with menudo.  Ah, tripe.  Nothing else in the world quite like it.

Friday - After classes and work detail, I headed to an overnight ladies' retreat with my beloved sister and friend, Esther.  I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  A word to the wise...don't ask God to speak to you if you don't really plan to listen to whatever He tells you.

Saturday - Thunder, lightening, rain, hail, snow, freezing rain...All in one day!  Our retreat ended with the song "Praise You in This Storm".  Quite appropriate.  And then it was back home for dinner with "The Team" (capital T's), since we didn't end up camping together.  Ah, happy memories.

Sunday - At noon - FREEDOM!!!  Use the microwave!  Listen to music!  Post on Xanga!  E-mail!  Brew coffee!  Call Mom and talk for more than eight minutes!  Whew...I think I'm tired now.



One of the roomies with my favorite little baby.  Isn't he precious?

More pictures next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment