Monday, March 7, 2011

Week Eight

Yikes...already?!

It's been an interesting day.  Classmate Stephen spoke in chapel this morning.  It was a cool feeling to have "one of us" up there.  I can't say it was a nice, flowery, inspirational message...It was more like, "Ouch!  I needed to hear that."  He was so right.  Sometimes we want to be heroes.  We find our security and satisfaction in what we can do (or think we can do) for God.  We like it when people tell us how wonderful we are, how great we are for sacrificing so much to serve the Lord.  We like to look at our abilities and think, "Wow, I'm pretty good at _____."  Or at least I do.  The reality is, I'm just one ordinary girl with no super-powers or anything like that.  I'm wretchedly selfish and proud even when "serving the Lord" or "doing ministry".  I certainly am nothing spectacular.  But the blessed truth - I have a spectacular God!!!!!  I don't have to be anything special.

Even after being reminded of that - guess what?  I later found myself irritated that something didn't happen the way I wanted it to.  Was it a big deal?  Of course not.  But I had to give up my plans, and I didn't like that one bit. I  know that God must have a reason for the situation, and I know I should trust Him...But selfishness keeps me from just accepting whatever He chooses to send my way.  A self-centered life is an ugly thing.

...

This early on, it's hard to tell how the week will go.  It could be a string of long days and late nights studying...or it might go quickly.  We'll see.  I did have a great study companion as I worked on my paper this afternoon...Yup, it was a cup of coffee.  My favorite recently discovered quote - "Behind every successful woman is a substantial amount of coffee."  And so I blissfully sip away.  I doubt it will make me successful, but at least it will make me happy.

Life is good even when it's not all so good.  Because...really...maybe our idea of "good" isn't God's idea of good.  We tend to think of good as meaning "comfortable".  I submit that that's a dangerous lie.  (One I often choose to believe, sadly.)

So there, I'm done writing for now.  Happy Monday, all!  Today is the day God has given us - rejoice!  Rejoice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment