Monday, January 16, 2012

When Brilliant Ideas Meet Reality

Sometimes a most wonderful idea seizes you and then collides with reality head-on.  It can be a jar to the senses.

The idea: "Just sitting down with some coffee," she told me.  Why, what a splendid idea, I said to myself, as if the possibility had never occurred to me before.

So I got up and made a small pot of peppermint mocha coffee.  (Which, by the way, is amazing stuff, although I have met some strange people who do not agree with that statement.  Actually, I happen to be related to some people who think that.  But I digress.)  The blessed smell wafted through my tiny apartment.

I think I might overuse the word blessed.  I apologize.

The reality: When the coffee was finished brewing, I poured myself a cup and took a sip.  Rats, I realized with a sinking feeling, I didn't measure the water right!  I put 3 cups of water in the coffee maker instead of the 2 that I should have.  That's 50% MORE water than I was supposed to use. (Yeah, I felt like showing off my math skills, but don't expect any more nice statistics.  If it's stats you want, you'll have ask my sister.  She's the one who aced her statistics class the other year.  Me...well you couldn't get me to touch that stuff with a ten-foot pole.  Maybe not with a twenty-foot pole either.  I don't know.  Why are we talking about this, anyway?)

Weak, insipid, forlorn coffee.  The stuff nightmares are made of.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment