Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Superhero Tuesday



Howdy, Michelle!  :)

---

On a somewhat-related note, I decided last night that it was time to catch up with my childhood hero.

I believe I've mentioned the book, Evangelists in Chains, yes?  Years ago, I went through a stage where I'd literally read this book cover-to-cover (338 pages!) every. single. day.  It remains my favorite story to this day.

The main character is 19-year-old Peter Hans, a Moravian Anabaptist in the 16th century.  He dreams of becoming a traveling evangelist and sharing his faith with people across Europe.

"Peter stared at the land of Hungary on his map.  Would he ever go there?  He saw himself standing in a foreign marketplace, surrounded by savage-looking Turks with fierce black moustaches and gleaming scimitars.  As he expounded to them the words of Jesus, the glints of hatred softened and the weapons fell to the ground.  Peter shook his head.  Foolish dreams.  Missionary work was not that easy.  But maybe, someday...

"'As my Father hath sent me, even so send I you,' his lips moved as he folded his maps."


But then Peter is captured by the authorities, along with most of the men in their community of believers...

No comments:

Post a Comment