Thursday, October 10, 2013

Dear _____,

Fellow missionaries (specifically new ones) who want to greet me in French…  Look, hearing my own language is a privilege right now, and trust me, no one is impressed by your French.  Save the French for when you need it to communicate.  Be normal and use your mother tongue when speaking to those you share it with.   (Can you tell this is a pet peeve of mine?)

Little gecko I found in my room…  You’re the first non-insect life I’ve encountered in my apartment.  You’re so cute and tiny!  But please, stick to crawling on the walls. If you start crawling around on my floor and I happen to step on you in the dark…I’ll be traumatized and you’ll be dead.  And we don’t want that, do we?

Feet…  Sometimes I look down at you and wonder if you’ll ever be clean again.  Sandals, dusty roads, and lots of walking don’t mix too well.

Ovaltine…  You bring back happy memories of visiting Aunt Joyce and Uncle Dusty.  It was a nice surprise to find you here.

Hibiscus jelly…  How in the world does jelly made from a dried tropical flower taste reminiscent of sauce made from a berry that grows in a bog?

Lady who came to my door one night…  Okay, so you knew I was home.  But if I didn’t answer the door after the first five times you rang the doorbell, what made you think fifteen more times would change my mind?  It’s like this: I didn’t know you, and if I had answered the door, I wouldn’t have been able to understand anything you might have said.  It would have been pointless.  So there.

Person who designed my apartment building…  Um, I think you may have been a little rusty on your geometry.  Nothing seems to be straight – the walls, the floor, the door frames…

Mangoes…  I wish I would have paid more attention when people were saying mango season was almost over.  Now I can’t find you and I didn’t really get my fill of mangoes.

Fall…  I still believe in you, even though my senses tell me you don’t exist.  I know you’re real…somewhere.  Sniffle, sniffle.

Pinto beans and canned pumpkin…  You have no idea how happy I was to see you in a store.

Scented candles and fun mugs…  Ah, yes.  I’m glad I brought you with me.  You lend a touch of homey-ness (if that wasn’t a word, it is now) to everyday life.

Oven…  So you’re the hot-tempered kind, are you?  I would appreciate it if you learn to control yourself and not burn the goodies I plan to bring to class.  My baking reputation is going to be tarnished if I have to buy packaged cookies too many more times.

Early November…  People tell me you’re the magical time when the weather starts to get cool (“cold”, some of them say…).  Hurry up and get here!!

Cockroaches…  By virtue of the fact that you are alive and in my apartment, you deserve to die.  The End.

Smartphone…  Yes, there was a time when I wasn’t sure that you and I would ever learn to get along, but now we’re pretty good friends, aren’t we?

Laura Story…  I find myself singing your song Blessings almost every day.  It’s such a perfect song.

Stray kitty that hangs around on this street…  I wish I could adopt you, but that probably wouldn’t work out too well for either of us.  It’s just that you’re so irresistibly cute…

Bakery just down the street…  I feel a little spoiled!  Thanks to you, I can buy fresh baguettes or croissants (yummy!) or a whole array of other pastries anytime I want to.  (Not that I do on a regular basis, but still.  It’s kind of fun to have a place like that so close.)

Ladies dressed in traditional outfits…  I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of looking at all those different colors and patterns.  Fabrics are my one weakness.

Person who invented Skype…  I have no idea who you are, but I love you.

Thursday…  I think you may be one of my favorite days of the week.  When you roll around, I feel like it’s almost the weekend, and that makes me happy.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, I am shaking my head in the yes motion as I read your post. Yes...the life of Child of God is never dull. I hope someone sends you a couple dried fall leaves but then again it might make you cry, again. I found fall colored bushes, trees in the summer in PNG, but then again it was always summer to me since it was hot and sticky daily. And after a few years it did get NEVER COLD but it did cool down in the summer months...go figure. Praying for you , love reading your update blog. If I could I would speak a few words of French to you. I'll try saying goodbye in pidgin. Mi lukin yu Rachel.

    ReplyDelete