Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Where You Are

One of the amazing things about grace is how it always meets you right where you are.

* * *

It had been a long, rough week.  I came down with the flu, I’d had little sleep and little appetite, and it was hot.  Then we had no running water.  All of this was fertile ground for discouragement, and that certainly summed up my state that week.

Discouraged.  And worse.
I couldn’t bring myself to pretend with God, because I knew it was pointless.  He saw my doubts and resentment and struggles – the whole lot of them – so why should I even try to plaster on a fake okay for Him?  He knew I foolishly wanted nothing more than to hide away in a corner and be left alone.

On Saturday I moved into my apartment and had a couple hours to myself before my friend arrived to stay with me for a few days.  I was hungry and weak and exhausted.
So there I was, sitting on my kitchen floor eating a banana (rather a pathetic note to start on, eh?).  Sometimes you have to get to the end of yourself before you’re ready to face the truth.

“Lord,” I cried, “You brought me here – why?”
“So I can show you who I am…and who you are.”

And I felt like He was reminding me that I could choose to walk with Him through it – the pain and confusion and loneliness – instead of running and hiding.
The next day at church, they read Romans 8:38-39, and I knew it was for me.  That week had been like a dark tunnel, but I emerged with this branded on my heart:

Nothing will be able to separate us from the love of God.
Nothing.  Not a single trial imaginable.  Not even we ourselves.

* * *
God’s grace meets us right where we are.  We may have lost our footing and can’t even seem to pray.  We may be wrestling with doubt or trying to run from our trials.  But no matter where we are, His grace boldly enters in and wraps everlasting arms around us.

Isn’t that beautiful?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment