Thursday, August 18, 2011

First Official Day of Class (more or less)

Today was the first official day of Linguistics (yesterday we shared our testimonies).

A few quotes to summarize the class thus far -

Linguistics Teacher (hereon referred to as LT): Linguistics is a field of science.
Rachel [thinking to self]: Oh no. What have I gotten myself into?
---

LT: It's easy to fall in love with your first hypothesis, but don't do that.  You're trying to disprove your hypothesis, so you want to distance yourself from it.
Rachel [thinking to self]: Hmm…I hadn't exactly planned on falling in love with my first hypothesis.

---

LT, after distributing books: This is "A Resource for Language Analysis".  We call it "Arla".  Arla is going to be your new friend.
Rachel [thinking to self]: I hope she's nice and helpful!
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment