Friday, December 21, 2012

The Grace Story: {Day 21} Receiving Grace

We hear so much about giving grace sometimes that we (or at least, I) forget that before we can give grace, we need to receive it.

As I was growing up, "It is more blessed to give than to receive," was deeply impressed on my heart and mind.  That's true, of course.  It's in the Bible, after all!  But if I think that I can simply give to others - or to God - I will soon find myself dry.  No matter how much I love to give, I don't have, in myself, the ability to give unconditionally and without limits.

I can put on a mask of super-spiritual and give, give, give.  Then when I find my heart empty of love or patience or grace or time, I can try to fake it and give anyway.  Eventually, though, I am not enough for this God-sized call to love.

That is why I need to first drink deeply of God's grace to me.  His love for me.  When I am full and satisfied in Him, when I remember how much He loves me and how it's all grace - then I am able to give grace to others.

The receiving isn't always easy -

It takes humility, a willingness to admit that I am not self-sufficient.  It takes faith, believing when He says I can offer no price to earn His acceptance.  It takes courage, laying my reserves and defenses and excuses down.

It means coming - just me, minus my good deeds and the things I hide behind.

The receiving makes the giving possible.

He gave, we receive, and we give because we've received His grace.

In this season of giving - and always -

Let's remember that we need God's grace.  Let's not be afraid to take what He offers.  Let's receive it with open hearts and open hands, so it can overflow to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment