Monday, December 24, 2012

The Grace Story: {Day 24} You don't belong in the kitchen

"Bad News Religion not only convinces us that we may not sit down at the Lord's table, but it lies to us, persuading us that our services are required in God's spiritual kitchen. ...God has neither assigned us to the kitchen nor invited us to help prepare our spiritual feast.  Our place is sitting down at the Lord's Table, not stewing in the kitchen.  God has a different way to produce what He wants us to become.  He tells us that Jesus is the Master Chef, and there is room for only one cook in God's kitchen." -Bad News Religion

It's like I've been invited into a super-fancy restaurant for dinner by the owner.  I would never hope to enter such a place, knowing it was entirely too grand (and expensive) for me.  Suppose when I was to be seated, I protested,

"Please, show me to the back and let me help in the kitchen - I'll be out of the way; I can make myself useful."

I would be told, "No, you're a guest.  You have been invited to dine here.  You don't belong in the kitchen.  Have a seat!"

Suppose I continued, "No, really.  I can't just sit here.  Let me wait on tables, for goodness' sake!  I should not be the one sitting down and being waited on."

Then the owner appears with, "It's all been taken care of; your meal is ready.  Relax and enjoy!"

But it feels so backwards to be the one sitting down!  Why would the owner even invite me, let alone serve me?  I certainly didn't do anything to deserve this treatment.

Peter voices a similar objection when Jesus began to wash his feet at the Last Supper.  No way, Lord!  You're not supposed to be washing my feet!  This is all wrong!

Even if it feels all wrong, this is the truth.  Grace tells me that I don't belong in God's "kitchen"; my place is at the table, sitting - not because I'm worth being waited on, but because Jesus chose to become a Servant.  All the work necessary for my salvation - a relationship with Him - is done.  There is nothing I can do to add to it.

Wow.  Amazing Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment