Thursday, December 27, 2012

Year in Review

[This post originally appeared on my NTM blog.]

‘Tis the season for a little year-in-review!

January –

I spent three weeks in Missouri packing, cleaning my apartment, and saying good-bye to my friends at the Missionary Training Center and church.  This wasn’t how I pictured spending those weeks.  I’d planned to join my class in Oklahoma for the final part of our linguistics training.  But linguistics is not my gift; that had become pretty clear.  So, after praying about it, I decided not to continue with the course.  Those weeks in Missouri gave me the chance to meet with some folks from West Africa, including one of the field leaders.  That was a big encouragement and a confirmation that the Lord was leading me in that direction!

February – May –


It was a blur of job-hunting and settling into a new normal.  But it was also a time of seeing God answer prayers: I had my interview with the West Africa leadership in April, and got my official invitation to the field.  Around the same time, I found a job for the Summer…after over a year of praying for work!  Neither waiting for a field nor a job was easy, but God’s answers and timing are always perfect.

Being a part of Sunday School again was also great!  I love the kids.  They’re like sponges, soaking everything up.

June and July –

I lost track of how many batches of cookies I made, how many stacks of plates I saw (and washed), or how many times we had barbecued hamburgers.  But I do remember how my boss liked to sneak up behind us and scare us.  I remember joking with the other kitchen staff and taking hikes with my roommate and sharing our life stories.

The whole camp experience was a new one for me, but it was a snake-free Summer, so all was well.

 

August and September –

Hurray for Summer-y things like a church picnic and an outdoor craft sale with a friend!  Other happenings: settling in at home again, starting Firm Foundations in Sunday school, visits with friends, and wedding preparations.

October –

…In which I traveled the farthest East I’d ever been.  Three states in 10 days!  Well, six states if you count my layovers.  I had a few days to visit my Mom’s side of the family in Maryland: her very fun aunt and uncle; several cousins and their families; and my 94-year-old great grandma (whom I’d never met before).  Aunt Linda even drove me up to West Virginia to see my grandpa.

Then I flew to Florida for a week-long workshop called “Sharpening Your Interpersonal Skills.”  Wow, was that a worthwhile week!  It was refreshing, encouraging, challenging, and fun at the same time.  While I was there, I got to visit a classmate from the MTC.  I hadn’t seen her in over a year, and it was so fun to catch up.  (Made me wish she lived closer!)

November –

My youngest sister, Sarah, got married.  It was a lovely day, thanks to many friends and family members who helped and/or joined us to celebrate!

Our Thanksgiving was a relatively quiet one, which was nice after all the busyness and excitement of the wedding.

December –

More job hunting (no interviews…yet), more visiting, and a quiet Christmas.

* * *

It’s hard to believe 2012 is almost history…

I wish the Lord’s blessings on each of you in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment